Thursday, November 19, 2009

Technology Surveys

Like any assessment, a survey is only as good as how well it addresses the ultimate information and goals. As part of EDLD 5352 I was required to take and analyze two technology assessments. Given, my position in my school as the buildings technology liaison, I found myself extremely interested in the questionnaires. The two instruments reviewed were the Technology Applications Inventory and The SETDA Teacher Survey.

Both the Technology Applications Inventory and The SETDA Teacher Survey are about technology use at school. Although there are similarities between the two, there are far more distinct differences. The first survey I took was the Technology Applications Inventory. This instrument included a series of 58 questions within four Domains; Foundations, Information Acquisition, Solving Problems with Technology Tools and Communication. The survey itself was very easy to take. The answers were either “yes” or “no”. The questions were clear and concise. As I took the survey, it was obvious to me where my personal strengths and weaknesses lie.

The second survey I took was the SETDA Teacher Survey. Unlike the Technology Applications Inventory, the SETDA Survey was long and difficult. Whereas the Technology Applications Surveys goal seemed to be the discovery of how fluent the teacher is with technology, the SETDA Survey was not only about the teacher’s fluency, but also about the student’s knowledge base, and how well the teacher is aware, teaches and integrates technology into his/her every day interaction with staff and students.

As a teacher, the surveys strengthened my belief in my personal technology skills. Upon completion of The Technology Applications Inventory, I felt good about myself and how advanced I am, given all of my “yes” answers. It reminded me of my weaknesses in the areas of proper keyboarding standards, citations, and the use of Boolean search strategies (which I rarely need). Contrarily, I found it difficult, actually impossible to complete the SETDA Teacher Survey. As a technology tool, I am sure that it would give me extremely specific information as to my strengths and weaknesses. However, I would have had to actually finish the survey in order to get that info.

As an administrator or as someone on an upper level of technology in a school District, I would certainly recommend that my teachers and staff members take the Technology Applications Inventory or one similar to it on an annual basis. I would NOT recommend the SETDA Teacher Survey based on its length (unless teachers would receive PD or some other type of credit). I would however, consider giving the SETDA Survey to a select group of teacher leaders who might benefit from its results.

No comments:

Post a Comment